You can’t get around the fact that losing weight that stays lost requires an exercise routine of some sort. Here are the best exercises to lose weight with and get you fit, toned, and healthy.
All exercise is good for your body, mind, and spirit, but here are the best exercises to lose weight.
The truth is that some exercises definitely burn more calories than others. However, exercise plays a much bigger part in losing weight than only burning calories.
Regular exercise increases motivation and focus on your goals, tones muscles so your body won’t look like an empty flour sack when you’ve slimmed down, aids in digestion, and makes you feel good.
These are just a few exercises known to burn calories and help you lose weight.
- Aerobics. Aerobics is a type of exercise that combines rhythm and stretching for increasing flexibility, muscular strength, and cardio at the same time. Many gyms have aerobic classes, you can purchase aerobic videos and can be done in groups or alone.
- Walking for Exercise. Walking is one of the best exercises for weight loss when it’s done in a brisk fashion. Although you don’t need to be a speed walker, you need to work up to walking fast enough to increase your breathing and heart rate. Like aerobics, walking tones legs, hips, stomach, lungs, and heart muscle.
- Running or Jogging. Either running or jogging (jogging is faster than a walk and slower than a run) burns more calories than walking. If you would like to run, but are out of shape, just start out walking for a few weeks. Begin by walking until your muscles are warmed up, then run or jog as far as you can, followed by walking. Do this until your exercise session has progressed to the running/jogging the entire distance.
- Hiking. Hiking is not a fun walk through the meadows. Like walking, hiking for exercise should tax your body to the point of increased heart rate. Hiking is great for working out every muscle in your body and seeing nature at the same time.
- Biking. Bicycling is both enjoyable and a great exercise for burning calories. This cardio workout quickly increases endurance and strengthens the heart. The majority of the workout is for your lower body, so you may want to include some form of strength training to go with your biking.
- Exercise Bikes. This is my favourite way to get in my cardio workouts. Most gyms have an assortment of exercise bikes, and if you choose, there are both folding models and rigid exercise bikes for home use. They are affordable and some bikes work both your lower and upper body.
- Swimming. Swimming is actually one of the best possible ways to exercise to lose pounds and tone your entire body. Swimming utilizes virtually every muscle in your body and has a high calorie burn. If you don’t have your own pool, check around for gyms or aquatic centers in your area.
- Yoga. Yoga is the most relaxing way to lose weight, tone and stretch out your body. It will increase your flexibility so that mobility of all kinds come much easier. Even though the calorie burn isn’t as high as some other exercises, it is a great method to get your workouts.
- Rowing. Rowing is like swimming when it comes to burning fat and toning your entire body. Home rowing machines are great for all your fitness needs, economical, and last for years. Row for more muscle strength in arms, shoulders, back, stomach, thighs, and legs all at the same time.
- Dancing the Pounds Off. Dancing is a monumental way to exercise to lose weight. The fact is you can dance by yourself or with a partner. Dance at dance studios, clubs, or in privacy of your own home. Burn fat and tone your entire body while enjoying your favorite music.
- Body Weight Exercises. Don’t belong to a gym or have your own home weights? Just use your own body weight for your workouts. Doing planks, pushups, pullups, squats, bridges, and more are all great bodyweight exercises that work.
- Exercise CDs and DVDs. There are every kind of exercise CDs imaginable online. Find a high energy workout program to watch on your TV or Computer and jump away the pounds. You can incorporate an exercise routine on a DVD into any other routine you have to burn even more calories each week.
- Yard Work and Gardening. You don’t even need a gym membership to get your exercise. If you have your own lawn or yard, spend several hours a week manicuring it and making it beautiful as you lose the pounds and tone your body right at home.
Any weight loss program built for the long term will include regular exercise of some sort. But how much you need, and which workout produces the best calorie burn is really a personal choice. And does it really matter which type workout you choose?
Experts are all in agreement that the best exercise for losing weight is the one you can commit to and actually make a part of your lifestyle.
That means walking for 30-60 minutes 5 times a week is great. On the other hand, if you would rather do resistance training with either weights or resistance bands-that’s just as good. You may even have your own exercise bike at home?
What you need is 30-60 minutes of intense physical activity several times a week. What ever you start out with, it’s important to just keep increasing the energy it takes to do your workout.
If you enjoy exercising you will stick with it.
The best way to get started with an exercise program is start out with something you think you will enjoy and is pretty easy to accomplish. It’s important to not push your limits too much for the first couple of weeks to prevent injury or getting sore and giving up.
As you progress into the routine you can step up the distance, time, weight, reps if you’re doing strength training, and intensity. Losing weight always involves burning more calories than you’re eating, but you want to allow your body time to adapt to exercise and get stronger.
Below are several tips that will help you stay motivated and stick to your weight loss exercise program:
- Exercising with a friend during your workouts helps keep you accountable.
- Write out a schedule with the days and times for your workouts and put it on the fridge door to remember your purpose and goals.
- Only weigh yourself one time each week at the same time of the day to keep track of your success.
- Remember that losing weight takes time and patience. Fast weight loss is just as quick to return.
- Prepare your own meals and eat at the table. This allows you to keep track of the calories and eat healthy.
- Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated to help flush toxins and fat out of your body. To avoid dehydration drink at least 64 oz of pure water every day.
Once again, regular exercise and a healthy diet is what causes weight loss. You have to be careful that you don’t give yourself license to eat whatever and how much you want just because you exercised.
In the end, believe it or not, it’s easier to turn away from eating unwanted calories than it is trying to burn them off when you’re overweight. And maintaining a healthy weight after its gone is what makes your own weight loss program successful.
Try some of the routines listed above and find something you can stick to for the long haul because exercise is not only the key to a healthy weight, but good health in general. And don’t be afraid to change to a different type of exercise if you find you don’t like the one you started with.